It seems that you got this handed over with little documentation. You have to
explore what the import handler does. This is a custom configuration that you
need to check how it works.

Then as already said. You can simply install another version of Solr if you are
within a Solr major version 8.x in Linux is simply a symbolic link pointing
from one Solr version to the other. In this way you can easily switch back as
well.

Finally, check your memory consumption. Normally heap is significant smaller
then the total available memory as the non-heap memory is used by Solr for
caching.

If you have 8g mb of heap I would expect that the total amount of memory
available is more than 32 gb.
As always it depends, but maybe you can give more details on no of cores, heap
memory, total memory and if other processes than Solr run on the machine.