Yes, debug=explain is expensive. Expensive in the sense that I’d never add it
to every query. But if your business users are trying to understand why query X
came back the way it did by examining individual queries, then I wouldn’t worry.

You can easily see how expensive it is in your situation by looking at the
timings returned. Debug is just a component just like facet etc and the time it
takes is listed separately in the timings section of debug output…

Best,
Erick