Do keep in mind that compression is a CPU intensive process so it is a trade
off between CPU utilization and network bandwidth.  I have see cases where
compressing the data before a network transfer ended up being slower than
without compression because the cost of compression and un-compression was
more than the gain in network transfer.

Bill

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> open a JIRA issue. we will use a gzip on both ends of the pipe . On
> the slave side you can say
> <str name="zip">true<str>
> as an extra option to compress and send data from server
> --Noble
>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Simon Collins
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have now optimized the index - down to 325mb, it compresses down to
> 20mb.
> >
> > I think the new replication thing in solr is great, but if it could
> compress the files it's sending, it would be an awful lot more useful when
> replicating, as we are, between sites.

> > Simon Collins
> > Systems Analyst
> >
> > Telephone: 01904 606 867
> > Fax Number: 01904 528 791
> >
> > shoe-shop.com ltd
> > Catherine House
> > Northminster Business Park
> > Upper Poppleton, YORK
> > YO26 6QU
> > www.shoe-shop.com
> >
> > This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of
> the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a
> trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
> that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files
> associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
> message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may
> be monitored.
> >
> > Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
> as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
> or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept
> responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this message,
> or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If
> verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or
> opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
> represent those of the company. (PAVD001)
> > Shoe-shop.com Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with
> company number 03817232. Vat Registration GB 734 256 241. Registered Office
> Catherine House, Northminster Business Park, Upper Poppleton, YORK, YO26
> 6QU.

  • replication handler - ... Simon Collins
    • Re: replication h... Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्
      • Re: replicati... Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्
        • RE: repli... Lance Norskog
          • Query... Nguyen, Joe
            • ... Nguyen, Joe
          • Re: r... Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्