I am getting this error quite frequently on my Solr installation:

SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error opening new searcher. exceeded limit of maxWarmingSearchers=8, try again later.

I've done some googling but the common explanation of it being related to autocommit doesn't apply.

Our server is not even in public use yet, it's serving maybe one query every second, or less. I don't understand what could be causing this.

We do a commit on every update, but updates are very infrequent. One every few minutes, and it's a very small update as well.

-jsd-