I was in the same situation recently. I think it would be nice to have the
configset UPLOAD command be able to override the existing configset instead
of just fail (with a parameter such as override=true or something). We need
to be careful with the trusted/unstrusted flag there, but that should be
possible.

> If we can’t modify the configset wholesale this way, is it possible to
create a new configset and swap the old collection to it?
You can create a new one and then call MODIFYCOLLECTION on the collection
that uses it:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/collection-management.html#modifycollection-parameters.
I've never used that though.