From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:24 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Unique id

Technically, no, a uniqueKey field is NOT required.  I've yet to run
into a situation where it made sense not to use one though.

As for indexing database tables - if one of your tables doesn't have a
primary key, does it have an aggregate unique "key" of some sort?  Do
you plan on updating the rows in that table and reindexing them?
Seems like some kind of unique key would make sense for updating
documents.

But yeah, a more detailed description of your table structure and
searching needs would be helpful.

        Erik

On Nov 19, 2008, at 5:18 AM, Aleksander M. Stensby wrote:

> Yes it is. You need a unique id because the add method works as and
> "add or update" method. When adding a document whose ID is already
> found in the index, the old document will be deleted and the new
> will be added. Are you indexing two tables into the same index? Or
> does one entry in the index consist of data from both tables? How
> are these linked together without an ID?
>
> - Aleksander
>
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:42:00 +0100, Raghunandan Rao
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]