On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Chris Hostetter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : > it might be worth considering a new @attribute for <fields> to indicate
> : > that they are going to be used purely as "component" fields (ie: your
> : > first-name/last-name example) and then have DIH pass all non-component
> : > fields along and error if undefined in the schema just like other updating
> : > RequestHandlers do.
> : >
> : > either that, or require that people declaure indexed="false"
> : > stored="false" fields in the schema for these intermediate component
> : > fields so that we can properly warn then when DIH is getting data it
> : > doesn't know what to do with -- protecting people from field name typos
> : > and returning errors instead of silently ignoring unexpected input is
> : > fairly important behavir -- especially for new users.
>
> : Actually it is done by DIH . When the dataconfig is loaded DIH reports
> : these information on the console. though it is limited , it helps to a
> : certain extent
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Logging an error and returning successfully (without adding any docs) is
> still inconsistent with the way all other RequestHandlers work: fail the
> request.
>
> I know DIH isn't a typical RequestHandler, but some things (like failing
> on failure) seem like they should be a given.
SOLR-842 .
DIH is an ETL tool pretending to be a RequestHandler. Originally it
was built to run outside of Solr using SolrJ. For better integration
and ease of use we changed it later.

SOLR-853 aims to achieve the oroginal goal

The goal of DIH is to become a full featured ETL tool.

--
--Noble Paul