Hmmm, I think I see the disconnect, but I'm not sure. Sending to the ERH (ExtractingReqHandler) is not an XML command at all, it's a file- upload/ multi-part encoding. I think you will need an API that does something like:

(Just making this up, this is not real code)
File file = new File(fileToIndex)
resp = solr.addFile(file, params);
----

Where params contains the literals, captures, etc. Then, in your API you need to do whatever PHP does to send that file as a multipart file (I think you can also POST it, too, but that has some downsides as described on the wiki)

I'll try to whip up some SolrJ sample code, as I know others have asked for that.

-Grant