I use my warm up queries to fill the field cache (or at least that's the
idea). My filterCache hit rate is ~99% & queryResultCache is ~65%.

I update my index several times a day with no 'optimize', and performance is
seemless. I also update my index once nightly with an 'optimize', and that's
where I see the performance drop.

I'll try turning autowarming on.

Could this have to do with file caching by the OS?