: Just to clarify:
: a) what does the stats page show (in terms of the number of
: Searchers listed in the CORE section) after a couple of full imports?

After 4 full-imports it will show 3 indexsearchers. I have also printed the
var "_searchers" from SolrCore.java and it shows me 3 indexsearchers.

: b) can you reproduce this doing full builds even with replication
: disabled?

I have replication disabled. I use solr collection distribution but for all
this tests I am not even using that. I just use one machine and index just
in there

: c) can you reproduce this using the example DIH configs?
My configs look really similar than defaults. I get data from mysql database
in data-config.xml. Solrconfig.xml has the caches and warmings same as
defaults.
I have disabled solrdeletionpolicystuff (and replication aswell).

I have checked the oficial 1.3 release and I hace seen
DirectUpdateHandler2.java is quite different that the one in the nightlys.
In the commit void... 1.3 is calling a closeSearcher function :

public void commit(CommitUpdateCommand cmd) throws IOException {

    if (cmd.optimize) {
      optimizeCommands.incrementAndGet();
    } else {
      commitCommands.incrementAndGet();
    }

    Future[] waitSearcher = null;
    if (cmd.waitSearcher) {
      waitSearcher = new Future[1];
    }

    boolean error=true;
    iwCommit.lock();
    try {
      log.info("start "+cmd);

      if (cmd.optimize) {
        closeSearcher();
        openWriter();
        writer.optimize(cmd.maxOptimizeSegments);
      }

      closeSearcher();
      closeWriter();

These closeSearcher function doesn't exist in the nightly (I supose all the
proces works in a different way now).
It seems that once DataImportHandler does the first import touches something
that makes IndexSearchers to not set free never again.