forget about the default setup that comes w/ the example.

say you have the following structure
/data/solr/home/
                      solr.xml
                      conf/
                            schema.xml
                            solrconfig.xml
                      data/
                            /c1/
                            /c2/
                            /c3/

* your solr.solr.home is /data/solr/home
* your common instanceDir will be /data/solr/home/ again. pass this
parameter whenever you create a new core.
* the conf dir contains the common files required for each core.
* in your common solrconfig.xml keep a tag
<dataDir>/data/solr/home/data/${solr.core.name}</dataDir> .(my
previous mail had a mistake
*assume your core names are c1,c2,c3 then solr will automatically
create a structure as described above. (no need to create the dirs c1
or c2 or c3)

HTH