Shalin Shekhar Mangar schrieb:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Michael Ludwig <m...@as-guides.com>
wrote:

I think if you truncate dates to incomplete dates, you effectively
also lose all the date logic. You may still apply it, but what would
you take the result to mean? You can't regain precision you've
decided to drop.

Note that with Trie search coming in (see example schema.xml in the
nightly builds), this rounding may not be necessary any more.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/conf/schema.xml

Not sure I understand correctly, but this sounds as if given an
integer field and a @precisionStep of 3, the original value is stored
along with three copies that omit (1) the last bit, (2) the two last
bits, (3) the three last bits. So a given range query might be
optimized to an equality query. But I'm not sure I'm on the right
track here.

Michael Ludwig