>Fergus McMenemie schrieb:
>
>>     The article could explain the difference between fq= and
>>     facet.query= and when you should use one in preference to
>>     the other.
>
>My understanding is that while these query modifiers rely on the
>same implementation (cached filters) to boost performance, they
>simply and obviously differ in that "fq" limits the result set to
>your filter criterion whereas "facet.query" does not restrict the
>result but instead enhances it with statistical information gained
>from applying set intersection of result and facet query filters.
>
>It looks like "facet.query" is just a more flexible means of
>defining a filter than possible using a mere "facet.field".
>
>Would that be approximately correct?
Yes. While q= and fq= affect the "results" portion of a search
response. The facet.query only affects the "facets" portion of a
response. facet.query(s) are only used where you want a facet
summary of your query based on some kind of complex expression
rather than the terms within a single field.

I added the comment in that I think that a wiki page discussing
fs vs q should also mention facet.query.

>It appears to me that each "facet.query" invariably leads to one
>boolean filter, so if you wanted to do range faceting for a given
>field and obtain, say, results reduced from their actual continuum
>of values to three ranges {A,B,C}, you'd have to define three
>"facet.query" parameters accordingly. A mere "facet.field", on the
>other hand, creates as many filters as there are unique values in
>the field. Is that correct?
Yes, A single facet.query on its own is probably useless. You would
need many of them. And as they have to be re-calculated after each
query I would imagine they are expensive. Also, given that facets
are used to help drive GUI options which turn drive the contents of
subsequent fq= filters, I am wondering.... fq= queries are not
analyzed before the search is made but I get the impression that
facet.querys are! This could be a big pitfall.

>Michael Ludwig
Fergus.

Fergus McMenemie               Email:fer...@twig.me.uk
Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021

Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer