Hi Brett,
     Well, I'm running Solr in Jetty with JBoss, so I used the JBoss method
of specifying properties (properties-service.xml). However, you can supply
the solr-home to the command-line when you start Jetty by using a parameter
like, "-Dsolr.solr.home=C:\solr". You can do it like how they do it for
Tomcat: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat?highlight=(solr.home)

     You mention your code is not compiling... the code should be able to
compile whether or not you can actually start solr with the right solr-home.
It should also compile regardless of how what container you deploy Solr
into. What exactly are you trying to do besides getting Solr to start in
Jetty?

- Daryl.