Thanks Noble, I gave those examples a try.

If I use <field column="body" xpath="/book/body/chapter/p" />  I only get
the text from the last <p> element, not from all elements.

If I use <field column="body" xpath="/book/body/chapter" flatten="true"/>
or <field column="body" xpath="/book/body/chapter/" flatten="true"/> I don't
get back anything for the body column.

So the first example is close, but it only gets the text for the last <p>
element. If I could get all <p> elements at the same level that would be
what I need. The double-slash (/book/body/chapter//p) doesn't seem to be
supported.

Thanks,
-Jay