:
: I'm trying to implement custom faceted search like CNET's
:
approach.<http://www.mail-archive.com/java-u...@lucene.apache.org/msg02646.html>
: .
: But i couldn't figure out how to structure and index category metadata
: document.

The short answer: "however you want"

For CNET, we already had a pretty robust datamodel for expressing category
based attributes and how to filter products in those categories by sets or
ranges of values and what labels to put on those filters, and what order
to display those filters as constraints in the UI ... all i did was come
up with a syntax for the metadatadocs that let me express that existing
data, and then write a request handler that knew how to parse those
metadata docs and interpret the existing filter syntax and convert it into
a Lucene Query.

AS i've mentioned before: theres nothing special about putting this
metadata into a doc in your solr index -- i just did it that way so that
the solr index would be entirely self contained (for replication and
backup) and refreshing my in memory models would be easy using the cache
warming hooks of Solr Caches.

-Hoss