From: Jérôme Etévé [mailto:jerome.et...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:31 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: facet performance tips

Hi everyone,

  I'm using some faceting on a solr index containing ~ 160K documents.
I perform facets on multivalued string fields. The number of possible
different values is quite large.

Enabling facets degrades the performance by a factor 3.

Because I'm using solr 1.3, I guess the facetting makes use of the
filter cache to work. My filterCache is set
to a size of 2048. I also noticed in my solr stats a very small ratio
of cache hit (~ 0.01%).

Can it be the reason why the faceting is slow? Does it make sense to
increase the filterCache size so it matches more or less the number
of different possible values for the faceted fields? Would that not
make the memory usage explode?

Thanks for your help !

--
Jerome Eteve.