Avlesh,
Great response, just what I was looking for.

As far as QueryResponseWriter vs RequestHandler: you're absolutely right,
request handling is the way to go. It looks like I can start with something
like :
public class SearchSavesToDBHandler extends RequestHandlerBase implements
SolrCoreAware

I am still weighing keeping this logic in my app, However, with solr-cell
coming along nicely, and my the nature of my queries (95% pre-defined for
content analysis), I am leaning toward the extra work of embedding the
processing in solr. I'm still unclear where the best path is, but I think
that's fairly specific to my app.

Great news about the flexibility of having both approaches be able to work
on the same index. That may well save me if I run out of time on the plugin
development.
Thank for your relply, it was a great help,

Sean