On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Paul Rosen <p...@performantsoftware.com>wrote:

> I've done a few experiments with searching two cores with the same schema
> using the shard syntax. (using solr 1.3)
>
> My use case is that I want to have multiple cores because a few different
> people will be managing the indexing, and that will happen at different
> times. The data, however, is homogeneous.

Multiple cores were not built for distributed search. It is inefficient as
compared to a single index. But if you want to use them that way, that's
your choice.

> I've noticed in my tests that the results are not interwoven, but it might
> just be my test data. In other words, all the results from one core appear,
> then all the results from the other core.
>
> In thinking about it, it would make sense if the relevancy scores for each
> core were completely independent of each other. And that would mean that
> there is no way to compare the relevancy scores between the cores.
>
> In other words, I'd like the following results:
>
> - really relevant hit from core0
> - pretty relevant hit from core1
> - kind of relevant hit from core0
> - not so relevant hit from core1
>
> but I get:
>
> - really relevant hit from core0
> - kind of relevant hit from core0
> - pretty relevant hit from core1
> - not so relevant hit from core1
>
> So, are the results supposed to be interwoven, and I need to study my data
> more, or is this just not something that is possible?

The only difference wrt relevancy between a distributed search and a
single-node search is that there is no distributed IDF and therefore a
distributed search assumes a random distribution of terms among shards. I'm
not sure if that is what you are seeing.

> Also, if this is insurmountable, I've discovered two show stoppers that
> will prevent using multicore in my project (counting the lack of support for
> faceting in multicore). Are these issues addressed in solr 1.4?

Can you give more details on what these two issues are?

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.