hossman wrote:

> : Hi all, I'm having problems getting Solr to start on Tomcat 6.
>
> which version of Solr?

Sorry -- a nightly build from about a month ago. Re. your other message, I
was sure the two machines had the same version on, but maybe not -- when I'm
back in the office tomorrow I'll upgrade them both to a fresh nightly.

hossman wrote:

> : Tomcat is installed in /opt/apache-tomcat , solr is in
> : /opt/apache-tomcat/webapps/solr , and my Solr home directory is
> /opt/solr .
>
> if "solr is in /opt/apache-tomcat/webapps/solr" means that you put the
> solr.war in /opt/apache-tomcat/webapps/ and tomcat expanded it into
> /opt/apache-tomcat/webapps/solr then that is your problem -- tomcat isn't
> even looking at your context file (it only looks at the context files to
> ersolve URLs that it cant resolve looking in the webapps directory)

Yes, it's auto-expanded from a war in webapps.

I have to admit to being a bit baffled though -- I can't find this rule
anywhere in the Tomcat docs, but I'm a beginner really and they're not the
clearest :-)

hossman wrote:

> This is why the examples of using context files on the wiki talk about
> keeping the war *outside* of the webapps directory, and using docBase in
> your Context declaration...
>   http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

Great, I'll try it this way and see if it clears up. Is it okay to keep the
war file *inside* the Solr home directory (/opt/solr in my case) so it's all
self-contained?

Many thanks,

Andrew.