Hi Elaine,
As you are able to get the sentences which contains that phrase(when you use
double quotes), its ok with the 'text' field type.
Frankly speaking, I don't know whether Solrj's http call will hung or not if
you try to get 100 thousands records at a time. I never tried that. But I
guess you can't display more than 1000 records at a time.
The best thing I can suggest you is pagination. You can use 'start' and
'rows' parameters to get the results in slices... say 1000 records at a
time(start=0&rows=1000, start=1001&rows=2000....). You can easily achieve
this using Solrj. In some scenarios, I tried to get 10k records at a time
and I didn't get any problem. If you get any heap space errors, try to
increase the space with JVM parameters.

Thanks,
Sandeep