Otis,

   This means we have to leave enough space for os cache to cache the whole
index  . so In  case of 16 GB index ., if  I am not wrong at least 16 GB
memory must not be   allocated to any application for os cache to utilize
the memory .

>> The operating systems are very good at maintaining this cache. It
> > usually better to give the Solr JVM enough memory to run comfortably
> > and rely on the OS cache to optimize disk I/O, instead of giving it
> > all available ram.

how much ram would be good enough for the Solr JVM  to run comfortably.

thanks,
Bharath