I think it would be useful for members of this list to realize that not
everyone uses the same metrology and terms.

It is very easy for "Americans" to use the imperial system and presume
everyone does the same; Europeans to use the metric system etc. Hopefully
members on this list would be persuaded to use or at least clarify their
terminology.

While the apocryphal saying goes " the great thing about standards is they
are so many choose from", we should all make an effort to communicate across
cultures and nations.