I'm working on an application that will build indexes directly using the
Lucene API, but will expose them to clients using Solr. I'm seeing
plenty of documentation on how to support date range fields in Solr,
but they all assume that you are inserting documents through Solr rather
than merging already-generated indexes.

Where can I find details about the Lucene-level field operations that
can be used to generate date fields that Solr will work with? In
particular date resolution settings are unclear.

On a similar note: how much of schema.xml is relevant in cases where
Solr is not performing insertions? Obviously defaultSearchField is as
well as the solrQueryParser defaultOperator attribute, but it seems like
most of the field declarations might not matter.

thanks,
Phil