On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Bill Dueber <b...@dueber.com> wrote:
> I've started trying edismax, and have noticed that my relevancy ranking is
> messed up with edismax because, according to the debug output, it's using
> bigrams instead of phrases and inexplicably ignoring a couple of the pf
> fields. While the hit count isn't changing,  this kills my ability to boost
> exact title matches (or, I would guess, exact-anything-else matches, too).

It's a feature in general - the problem with putting all the terms in
a single phrase query is that you get no boosting at all if all of the
terms don't appear.

But since it may be useful as an option, perhaps we should add the
single-phrase option to extended dismax as well.

> edismax is also completely ignoring the title_a and title_ab fields, which
> are defined as "exactmatcher" as follows.

I believe this is because extended dismax only adds phrases for
boosting... hence if a field type outputs a single token, it's
considered redundant with the main query.  This is an optimization to
speed up queries (esp single-word queries).
Perhaps one way to fix this would be to check if the pf is in the qf
list before removing single term phrases?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com