I tried to reproduce a similar situation here, but I got the expected
and correct results. Those three documents that you saw in your first
search result should be the first in your second search result (unless
the index changes or the sort changes ) when fq on that specific
category. I'm not sure what is causing this problem. Can you give me
some more information like the field type configuration for the ctype
field and how have configured field collapsing?

I did find another problem to do with field collapse caching. The
collapse.threshold or collapse.maxdocs parameters are not taken into
account when caching, which is off course wrong because they do matter
when collapsing. Based on the information you have given me this
caching problem is not the cause of the situation you have. I will
update the patch that fixes this problem shortly.

Martijn

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen