We're running a 14M documents index. For each document we have:
   <field name="id"                     type="sint"     indexed="true"
stored="true"
required="true" />
   <field name="title"                  type="text_ngram" indexed="true"
stored="true"omitNorms="true"/>
   <field name="cat_id"                 type="sint"     indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
   <field name="geo_id"                 type="sint"     indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
   <field name="body"                   type="text"     indexed="true"
stored="false"
omitNorms="true"/>
   <field name="modified_datetime"      type="date"     indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
(and a few other fields).

Our most usual query is something like this:
q=cat_id:xxx AND geo_id:yyyy&sort=id desc   where cat_id = which "category"
(cars,sports,toys,etc) the item belongs to, and geo_id = which city/district
the item belongs to.
So this query will return a list of documents posted in category xxx, region
yyy.
Sorted by ID DESC, to get the newest first.

There are 2 questions I'd like to ask:

1) adding something like:  q=cat_id:xxx&fq=geo_id=yyyy would boost
performance?

2) we do find problems when we ask for a page=large offset!  ie:
q=cat_id:xxx and geo_id:yyy&start=544545
(note that we limit docs to 50 max per resultset).
When start is 500 or more, Qtime is >=5 seconds.... while the avg qtime is
<100 ms

Any help or tips would be appreciated!