: I've noticed this as well, usually when working with a large field cache. I
: haven't done in-depth analysis of this yet, but it seems like when the stats
: page is trying to pull data from a large field cache it takes quite a long
: time.

In Solr 1.4, the stats page was modified to start reporting stats on the
FieldCache (using the new FieldCache introspection API added by Lucene
Java 2.9) so that may be what you are seeing.

: > more than 10 seconds.  We call this programmatically to retrieve the last
: > commit date so that we can keep users from committing too frequently.  This
: > means some of our administration pages are now taking a long time to load.

i'm not really following this ... what piece of data from the stats.jsp
are you using to compute/infer a commit date?

if you are looking at registration date of the SolrIndexSearcher you can
also get that from the LukeRequestHandler which is much more efficient
(it has options for limiting the work it does)...

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/luke?numTerms=0&fl=BOGUS

-Hoss