> I want the following searches to work:
>
>   MyField:SDD_Expedition_PCB
>
> This should match the word "SDD_Expedition_PCB" only, and
> not matching individual words such as "SDD" or "Expedition",
> or "PCB".
>
> And the following search:
>
>   MyField:SDD_Expedition*
>
> Should match any word starting with "SDD_Expedition" and
> ending with anything else such as "SDD_Expedition_PBC",
> "SDD_Expedition_One", "SDD_Expedition_Two",
> "SDD_ExpeditionSolr", "SDD_ExpeditionSolr1.4", etc, but not
> matching individual words such as "SDD" or "Expedition".

I just tested your type in admin/analysis.jsp  (solr 1.4.0) page and two of
your examples are reduced to:

SDD_Expedition_PCB    => sddexpeditionpcb
ABC_Expedition_ERROR  => abcexpeditionerror

in both query and index time.

I think there is a misunderstanding. With your type decleration, the query
Keywords:SDD_Expedition_PCB shouldn't match
individual words such as "SDD" or "Expedition", or "PCB". Something wrong with
the scenario in your first mail and your field type declaration. Can you run
&q=Keywords:SDD_Expedition_PCB&debugQuery=on and send debug info?

About prefix query Keywords:SDD_Expedition* would never match in your current
configuration. Because prefix and wildcard queries are not alayzed. Best thing
you can do is convert this query to sddexpedition* then it will bring you all
these: SDD_Expedition_PBC, SDD_Expedition_One, SDD_Expedition_Two,
SDD_Expedition_Solr.