Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still quite the newbie to both Lucene
and Solr. I was hoping to start by getting a simple example working in SOLR
and then iterate towards the more complex, given this is my first attempt at
extending Solr.

For my first iteration of SpanQuery in Solr I am thinking of starting with a
simple syntax to combine:

      - SpanTermQuery

      - SpanNearQuery

The logical syntax would be something like:

      TermQuery-1(term1 distance term2), TermQuery-2(term3 distance term4),
SpanNearQuery-1 (TermQuery-1 distance TermQuery-2)

Looks like I should look at the Xml-Query-Parser as a reference
implementation on the Lucene side and the FooQParserPlugin as a reference
implementation on the SOLR side?

The other part of the riddle I would really appreciate some guidance on is
how to get it to plug-in to SOLR correctly?

Once I get the basics working then I will look into other features and a
more expressive query syntax:

      - SpanOrQuery

      - SpanNotQuery

      - SpanFirstQuery

      - Qsol - as sentence and paragraph support will be nice.

Appreciate any guidance,

Christopher