: I have noticed that atm there doesnt seem to be a way to inherit request
: handler definitions. This would be nice to be able to define some basic
: requesthandlers (maybe even with the option of defining them "abstract")

The idea has been discussed before...
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-112 ...as you note in the
latter comments, we ultimately we hit a wall in trying to determine a
"generic" way to merge the init params for any arbitrary RequestHandler --
things like default/invariant/appends are conventions of the OOTB
handlers, but not all handlers are garunteed to support them.

It's the kind of thing that individual handlers could easily implement
internally (especailly now that they have way of being SolrCoreAware and
asking for other handlers by name (which they could then ask for whatever
data they needed to initialize themselves)

: Furthermore it would be nice to be able to dynamically append things in
: a request. For example I run a search on the companies dismax handler
: and I find no (or just very few) result, then I want to also include a
: field that has a doublemethaphone analyzer on the name. So I just want
: to append that field to the qf setting of the request handler defaults.

...isn't qf a multiValued param? ... as long as you declare it in the
"appends" init set instead of "defaults" it should work exactly the way
you describe.

-Hoss