We need more information. How big is the index in disk space? How many
documents? How many fields? What's the schema? What OS? What Java
version?

Do you run this on a local hard disk or is it over an NFS mount?

Does this software commit before shutting down?

If you run with asserts on do you get errors before this happens.
    -ea:org.apache.lucene... as a JVM argument