Here's the problem: the wiki page is confusing:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#Tagging_and_excluding_Filters

The line:
q=mainquery&fq=status:public&fq={!tag=dt}doctype:pdf&facet=on&facet.field={!ex=dt}doctype

is standalone, but the later line:

facet.field={!ex=dt key=mylabel}doctype

mean 'change the long query from {!ex=dt}docType to {!ex=dt key=mylabel}docType'

'tag=dt' creates a tag (name) for a filter query, and 'ex=dt' means
'exclude this filter query'.