Hmmm, I'm nowhere near an expert on how the analyzers actually work, so I
have to
punt a bit here. And certainly take any of "the regulars" advice if they
give it <G>...

But outside of stemming, Lucene/SOLR really doesn't understand the concept
of
"language". And that's not even Lucene, it's the stemmer code. The Analyzers
are just concerned with producing tokens.

There are some special cases where, say, accents are folded. Various
European
languages have accent, grave and unaccented characters
for instance, which should all be treated as one character for a good search
experience. See IsoLatin1AccentFilter.

But as I remember (OK, it's 35 years ago that I had 2 years of Russian in
college, OK?)
the cyrillic alphabet doesn't suffer from that kind of problem, so it's
probably worth
giving it a try. At very worst, you could pre-process your indexed text and
query text
to smooth out any anomalies. If you want to dig farther, you could make your
own
analyzer.....

HTH
Erick