Steve -

I'm a bit confused... each facet.query (using HTTP parameter nomenclature) only adds a single value to the response, the number of docs within the current constraints that match that query. facet.mincount is specifically for facet.field, which adds a name/ value pair for each value in the field, and that's where you want to limit the number of values returned.

Perhaps you could provide a concrete example with the solr response (XML, JSON, or something readable format) for the facet data isn't making sense to you.

Or maybe SolrJ has some faults in presenting the response properly?

        Erik