Disclaimer: My Oracle experience is miniscule at best. I am also a beginner at Solr, so grab yourself the proverbial grain of salt.

I googled a bit on CLOB. One page I found mentioned setting up a view to return the data type you want. Can you use the functions described on these pages in either the Solr query or a view?

http://www.oradev.com/dbms_lob.jsp
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_dbms_lob.htm
http://www.praetoriate.com/dbms_packages/ddp_dbms_lob.htm

I also was trying to find a way to convert from xmltype directly to a string in a query, but that quickly got way over my level of understanding. I saw hints that it is possible, though.

Shawn