To convert an XMLTYPE to CLOB use the getClobVal() method like this:

SELECT d.XML.getClobVal() FROM DOC d WHERE d.ARCHIVE_ID = '${doc.ARCHIVE_ID}'

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:s...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:37 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Indexing CLOB Column in Oracle

Disclaimer:  My Oracle experience is miniscule at best.  I am also a
beginner at Solr, so grab yourself the proverbial grain of salt.

I googled a bit on CLOB.  One page I found mentioned setting up a view
to return the data type you want.  Can you use the functions described
on these pages in either the Solr query or a view?

http://www.oradev.com/dbms_lob.jsp
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_dbms_lob.htm
http://www.praetoriate.com/dbms_packages/ddp_dbms_lob.htm

I also was trying to find a way to convert from xmltype directly to a
string in a query, but that quickly got way over my level of
understanding.  I saw hints that it is possible, though.

Shawn