: Can I build a query such as :
:
:       -field: A
:
: which will return all documents that do not have "exclusive" A in the
: their field's values. By exclusive I mean that I don't want documents
: that only have A in their list of values. In my sample case, the query
: would return doc A and B. Because they both have other values in field1.

the most straight forward way i know of to deal with requirements like
this is to also have a field_count field where you record the number of
values indexed into "field" ... an UpdateProcessor can automate creating
this field for you, and then you can query for something like...

        -(+field:A +field_count:1)

-Hoss