On Thursday 18 March 2010 17:47:45 Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the mail. I had tried the WIKI.
>
> My doubts remaining were mainly:-
>
> 1.
> If we have synonyms specified and they replace your search keyword with the
>  ones specified wouldn't we face a risk of our original keyword missed out.
>  What i meant is if I have a keyword for search say "agriculture" and I
>  replace it with some synonyms, will I never again be able to search
>  directly for "agriculture". ie suppose I have a document which has the
>  term agriculture and none of the synonyms in it. Will that document be
>  retrieved when i search for agriculture as I have now mapped it to other
>  terms.

It depends whether you let them be replaced. If you omit the => sign, the
terms simlpy will be expanded to whatever synonyms you specified. I could not
explain it any better than the wiki.

> 2.
> I am still a bit confused about the interpretation of:-
>
>     a\,a => b\,b
>
>    abc def rose\, my cap ,  rose flower
>
>    Can you pls give a one linere explanation for the above. There are some
>  sample entries in the synonyms.txt

This is escaping otherwise meaningful characters. The , and => are meaninful
to the SynonymFilterFactory and therefore need to be escaped as you also would
escape certain characters in any language or whatever. You need to escape
qoutes in many languages and you must escape the : sign a.o. in you Lucene
queries.