On 29.03.2010, at 15:11, David Smiley (@MITRE.org) wrote:

> Sorry, I intended to design my post so that one wouldn't have to read the
> thread for context but it seems I failed to do that.  Don't bother reading
> the thread.  The use-case I'm pondering modifying Lucene/Solr to solve is
> the one-to-many problem.  Imagine a document that contains multiple
> addresses where each field of an address (like street, state, zipcode) go in
> different multi-valued fields.  The main difficulty is considering how
> Lucene might be modified to have query results across different fields be
> intersected by a matching term position offset (which is designed in these
> fields to refer to a known value offset).

i posted another use case the other day as well .. then again i hope the
spatial support in 1.5 will make this use case obsolete soon. basically we have
an app where we have offers that can be available in multiple stores. now in
order to have a speedy compact index the idea was to simply store the geo
location of the stores along with the offers in a multi valued field. however
in order to filter on the x-y geo coordinates we would have to filter on the
pairs. this is i guess similar to your above example as well with multiple
addresses.

here is the link to my post:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201003.mbox/%3cfb3f49c8-31d9-48fc-b416-73a1bbd3f...@pooteeweet.org%3e

btw: i was mailed offlist if i have found an answer to the above question. so
its not some crazy use case ..

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org