What does this error mean?

SEVERE: Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property

I've had this solr installation working before, but I haven't looked at it in a few months. I checked it today and the web side is returning a 500 error, the log file shows this when starting up:

SEVERE: Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property
 java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: read past EOF
   at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:1068)
   at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:579)
at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer.initialize(CoreContainer.java:137) at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:83)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:99)
at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:40) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:594)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:139)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1218)

For the record, I've never explictly set "solr/home" ever. It always "just worked".

-jsd-