All my fields are stored.

And if my field name is "state" means that your suggestion is appending
"fl=state", then no, that's not doing anything for me.  =(

The above config gets me part of the way to where I need to be.  Storing,
for instance, "Alaska" in such a way that querying for "alaska", "AlaSkA",
and "ALASKA" will all return "Alaska".  However, if I include the field as a
stats.facet, or I'd doing a faceted search (facet=true), or do a terms
search, what I get out is "alaska".

Any way around that without the dupe field?