In our deployment, we thought that complications might arise when attempting
to hit the Solr server with addresses of too many cores. For instance, we
have 15+ cores running at the moment. At the worst case, we will have to use
all 15+ addresses of all the cores to search all our data. What we
eventually did was to combine all the cores into a single core, which will
basically give us a more clean solution. You will get the simplicity of
querying one core, but the flexibility of modifying cores separately.

Basically, we have all the cores indexing separately. We set up a script
that would use the index merge functionality of Solr to combine all the
indexes into a single index accessible through one core. Yes, there will be
some overhead on the server, but I believe that it's a good compromise. In
our case, we have multiple servers at our disposal, so this was not a
problem to implement. It all depends on your data set and the volume of
documents that you will be indexing.