Check that the field you are highlighting on is "stored". It won't work
otherwise.

Now, this also means that the field is returned from the query. For large
text fields to be highlighted only, this means the entire text is returned
for each result.

There is a pending feature to address this, that allows you to tell Solr
to NOT return a specific field (to avoid unecessary transfer of large text
fields in this scenario).

Darren