Here's a slider example that narrows down how many tags/facets are displayed: <http://www.nines.org/tags>

How about a tree map? See my slides from the prototyping preso at EuroCon last week: <http://lucene-eurocon.org/sessions-track2-day2.html#4 >

Pie in the sky, how about pie charts? I like 'em :) From Koji's blog (but his demo site is currently down): <http://lucene.jugem.jp/?eid=150>

Perhaps only tangentially related, but one thing I really prefer in a rich search UI is the ability to invert constraints. Show me everything about "flare", now narrow to the science category. Now invert it, for everything _not_ in the science category. This plays in with how facets are used for drilling in (or broadening!) the search experience. Ahhh, serendipity!

        Erik