My guess would be that commons-daemon is somehow thinking that Tomcat has gone
down and started up multiple copies...   You only need one Tomcat process for
your 4 core Solr instance!   You may have many other WAR applications hosted in
Tomcat, I know a lot of places would have 1 tomcat per deployed WAR pattern.