Yuval - my only hunch is that you're hitting a different request handler than where you configured the default defType. Send us the URL you're hitting Solr with, and the full request handler mapping. And you're sure you're the exact core you're hitting (since you mention multicore) you think you are? Look at Solr's admin to see where the solr home directory is and ensure you're looking at the right solrconfig.xml.

        Erik