> Thanks, Ahmet.
> Yes, my solrconfig.xml file is very similar to what you
> wrote.
> When I use &echoparams=all and defType=myqp, I get:
>
> <lst name="params">
> <str name="q">hi</str>
> <str name="echoparams">all</str>
> <str name="defType">myqp</str>
> </lst>
>
> However, when I do not use the defType (hoping it will be
> automatically
> Inserted from solrconfig),  I get:
>
> <lst name="params">
> <str name="q">hi</str>
> <str name="echoparams">all</str>
> </lst>

In &echoParams=all  p should be capital. Just use &echoParams=all and don't
include defType explicitly. &echoParams=all will display default parameters
that you specify in solrconfig.xml. You can debug this way.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreQueryParameters#echoParams

If you don't see <str name="defType">myqp</str> listed under <lst
name="params"> then it is not written in solrconfig.xml.

May be you forgot to restart core after editing solrconfig.xml?