The Distributed Search feature assumes that a document only exists in
one code. Updating a doc in a small core will fail because it may be
found twice.

If you are only updating a popularity score, and only need it for
boosting (but not for searching on a value), there is a feature called
the ExternalFileField:

http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/CDRG_ch04_4.4.4?q=ExternalFileField
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/schema/ExternalFileField.html

--