Hi folks,

if I'm seeing it right Solr currently does not provide any support for federated / meta searching. Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone has already put efforts into this direction? Moreover, is federated / meta search considered a scenario Solr should be able to deal with at all or is it (far) beyond the scope of Solr?

To be more precise, I'll give you a short explanation of my requirements. Assume, there are a couple of Solr instances running at different places. The documents stored within those instances are all from the same domain (bibliographic records), but it can not be ensured that the schema definitions conform to 100%. But lets say, there are at least some index fields that are present in all instances (fields with the same name and type definition). Now, I'd like to perform a search on all instances at the same time (with the restriction that the query contains only those fields that overlap among the different schemas) and combine the results in a reasonable way by utilizing the score information associated with each hit. Please note, that due to legal issues it is not feasible to build a single index that integrates the documents of all Solr instances under consideration.

Thanks in advance,
Sascha